Baking and eating yummy treats with loved with ones is one of our favorite parts of the holiday season. As a busy parent we know you are looking for recipes that are delicious, easy to make, and look beautiful on display at a holiday party. Santa’s Cookies is a blog series of some of our favorite recipes that are easy enough to get your toddler involved, but are pretty enough to give away as gifts.
What could smell or taste more like Christmas than cranberries and orange, wrapped in delicate dough and hugged by chocolate and almonds? Not much, right?
We were lucky enough to find that combo in a cookie! And we hope you and Santa enjoy them as much as we do!
Such an easy process!
Pretty as a picture!
Did we mention we especially love the chocolate and sprinkled almonds?
Chocolate Covered Cranberry Cookies
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 1/3 cups (330g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, softened but still slightly firm
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- Red food coloring (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups cherry flavor dried cranberries, chopped into small bits
- 12 oz. chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) (We used chopped candied almonds instead)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together sugar, butter and orange zest until well blended.
- Mix in egg the mix in egg yolk, coloring (approx. 12- 15 drops) and vanilla extract.
- Add in flour mixture then mix until nearly combined then add in cranberries and mix until combined.
- Scoop dough out and shape into 2 Tbsp balls. Space 2-inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Flatten cookies slightly, bake one sheet at a time in preheated oven, 9 – 11 minutes (cookies should appear slightly under-baked).
- Let cool on pan several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt chocolate in a medium mixing bowl on 50% power in 20 second increments, stirring between intervals, until melted and smooth.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Once cookies are cool dip half of each cookie in chocolate, gently shake and let excess chocolate run off (I also like to run the bottom of the cookie across the rim of the bowl to remove some), then transfer to parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with walnuts if desired.
- Transfer to refrigerator and let chill until chocolate sets, about 15 minutes. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy