We are a big fan of stuffed peppers in our house and usually don’t follow a recipe when we make them so results vary. In our search for easy, but tasty meals, we came across a one-pan recipe by Clean Food Crush. Besides being quick and easy, these Unstuffed Peppers were so good we decided to add this to our rotating meal list.
One Pan Unstuffed Bell Peppers
- 1.5 lbs. lean ground turkey
- 2 Tbsps high quality avocado oil, or olive oil, divided
- 2 red, or green bell peppers, diced
- 2 yellow, red, or orange bell peppers, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 3 fresh large tomatoes, chopped
- 2.5 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- 2 Tbsps chopped cilantro, or parsley as garnish
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add ground turkey, seasonings (cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano) and a pinch of sea salt and pepper.
- Cook turkey, stirring and breaking it up, until cooked through and browned.
- Remove turkey from skillet and set aside.
- Add the remaining half of the oil to the skillet together with the diced peppers and onion.
- Cook for about 3-5 mins over medium-high heat until just softened, then add garlic and chopped tomatoes, stir for another minute.
- Add the turkey back into the veggies along with the cooked brown rice. Continue to stir and cook for about 2 mins until well combined and heated nicely throughout.
- Squeeze lime juice over the mixture and garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro.
- I would serve this with a fresh salad.
This would be a great meal to take to a family that just had a baby or to have your postpartum doula cook up for you.